Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bedtime Thoughts

Well, as I try to get to sleep each night, I usually spend an hour or two just thinking about things. Earlier yesterday, I read a lot about the future of robotics and transhumanism, and these studies corrupted my bedtime musings.

Now, bear in mind that I'm sorta religious (Tolerant non-denominational who occasionally doubts her beliefs).

In my opinion, our mind has two parts. The logic part and creative part. The logic part rules stuff like comprehending math and puzzles. Facts that don't require much philosophical thinking. The Creative Part rules stuff such as art and music. It doesn't just have to be things like that though. Creativity can also deem stuff like how we function in society. Honestly, do you think half of the odd little social rules we have developed are logical?

Moving on, I started wondering where our soul would fit in. Then I supposed it would be in the creative part. See, to me...a soul is the same thing as your conscious, personality, behavior, thoughts, "Heart", etc. The ability to think for yourself, feel empathy and emotions, etc. is what gives you a soul.

Then I began to wonder if robots could have souls. This may sound really silly to some. "No, they can't. Only humans have souls." Some may say.

But think about it. We have robots that can already make judgement calls (ASIMO). A robot that can process something that it has never seen before and make a decision. Sure, it isn't creative thought, but that is rational thought. Someday, we will most likely create robots that can have creative thoughts and thoughts on their own. That may sound very out there, but consider how people from hundreds of years ago would act if you told them about the Internet.

Anyways, one day we will most likely have created robots that can think for themselves and have creative thoughts. If they have their own personalities and feelings and emotions, who is to say they don't have souls?

THEN, I started thinking of all of this in math terms.

A= Humans
B= Logical Thought
C=Robots
D=Creativity
E=Soul
F= Mind

A has B, D, E, and F. C has B so far. From here on out, to make the equations simpler, = will mean is and == means has, or something like that. Then it made sense to me, but now I realize I was half asleep and maybe drunk.

A==B+D+E
C==B
A-C=D+E? Humans minus robots is Creativity plus Soul?

B+D+E=F
A==F
C==/==F

C=F-(D+E)
A-C=D+E
A=F Humans equal mind?

(C=F-(D+E)) - (A-C=D+E)
A-2C=F Humans minus two robots is mind?



This equations continue on. It wasn't until I got to exponents that I realized two things about myself.

One: I am a math geek.
Two: I REALLY overthink things.

So here is my question to you guys; What are your thoughts on Transhumanism? Is it a good idea to replace ourselves or parts of ourselves, and do you think robots will ever have souls?

Thanks and have a nice week!

No comments:

Post a Comment